In September 1950, a revival was held in the Belmont Community of Calhoun, Georgia. During the revival a survey was taken and the results of that survey indicated a very high interest in starting a Baptist Church in the Belmont Community. Two men, Rev. Henry Holland and Rev. H.F. (Fite) Barnette, were instrumental leaders in this process.
Following much prayer, planning, and organizing, Belmont Baptist Church was born on November 19, 1950. The Church first met in a clubhouse, located behind the Gordon County Fire Department. The Seventh Day Adventist Church was located on South Wall Street (Hwy. 41) at that time, and offered their building for Sunday worship to the new congregation. Belmont gladly accepted the offer and worshiped there until the first building was completed. Rev. H.F. (Fite) Barnette was called as Belmont's first pastor.